• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,235 days ago

Repost: If You're New, Why Vigilance is Important; Simple Ideas

April 20, 2017
Report this post

Repost: If You're New, Why Vigilance is Important; Simple Ideas

I found that this was true for me early in my quit. I had to do whatever it took to keep my quit. My quit was my priority and I felt like I lived my life around quitting - may have been a bit of a downer but it was my priority and I wanted to do whatever it took to keep my quit. It is not like that forever. I seldom think about smoking now and I can simply dismiss it when it enters my head. I feel the reason for that is the fact I realized I was an addict and will forever be one and I educated myself on that. It was also thanks to the vigilance at the start, I got to the point I am now. Quitting is doable KTQ Cara D4054

********************************************************************************************************************

If You're New, Why Vigilance is Important; Simple Ideas From allsfair on 9/28/2012 9:26:14 AM

For me when I first started, all I needed to do to see how hard this is, and why I have to stay ever-vigilant, is look at the anniversaries page. While there are many, many people with a Quit Date or Hell Week today, there's only one or two people left once you get up to the 18 months or less even in the 3 year range.

This thing is difficult - there's no getting around it - however, what is not difficult are the following ideas:

1. If I don't pick up (even if my azz falls off), I wont smoke; 2. I can do this one day (or even one hour or 5 minutes) at a time; 3. I will remember "this too shall pass" when dealing with 'cravings' and what-not; 4. My inner addict is a liar and wants to kill me; 5. If I don't pick up (even if my azz falls off), I wont smoke (I know I said that twice - it's important) 6. Nothing can 'make me smoke,' which requires a conscious decision and action on my part (very much like Murder! Imagine!); 7. I am going to be good to myself today.

There are many, many other things to put down and remember - these are the ones that helped me on a day by day (or hour by hour) basis when I first started.

Thanks to all for advice and support freely given!

Hang in there!!!!

Houston Day 2829

Sign in to reply

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment