• Author
  • Topic
Brian3

Welcome everyone!

October 18, 2017
Report this post

My name is Brian. I am the moderator of the General Discussion board

The General Discussion board is a place for you to interact and have discussions about issues throughout your quit journey. I hope you’ll join us to share your knowledge and experiences. As a moderator I will be here to provide assistance and support. Please follow our simple guidelines to ensure this board has productive conversation.

Together we can ease your journey.

Sign in to reply
  • tman55
    Quit 1,400 days ago
    4 months ago #

Thx.

• T
    Tess
    Quit 143 days ago
    4 months ago #

The support on this site has helped me tremendously!

• Carolyn
    Quit 4,361 days ago
    4 months ago #

Thanks

• S
    Sherri L.
    Quit 2,428 days ago
    4 months ago #

I started with Alberta quits . Receiving the periodic calls were so helpful . They helped me to keep my quit.. to stretch myself , to believe in myself . waiting for those calls short term then longer term helped me tremendously . They helped the kick off to a great start . Just knowing you would receive a call made your journey not alone. I looked forward to my scheduled call so I too could give back .. saying yes I'm still quit. One of the most uplifting things is too give back what others have so freely given you ... hope.

• S
    Sherri L.
    Quit 2,428 days ago
    4 months ago #

Alberta quits and amthen a sister site definitely eased my journey ..thank you to all behind the scenes making calls.. reaching out , thank you , thank you .

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,270 days ago
    4 months ago #

Thanks for posting Sherri. Sharing in the experience has been helpful. So many of the issues are the same for each of us and yet it is personal for every individual.

• T
    Tess
    Quit 143 days ago
    3 months ago #

I especially appreciated the daily texts of encouragement! Often times they mirrored exactly what was on my mind. I never took advantage of the phone service, but just knowing that option was there has been very reassuring. I also appreciate the posts from the veterans. Much hope & encouragement to draw on there!

• s
    sharrron11
    Quit 51 days ago
    1 month ago #

Hi - quit day is this coming Tues. - going to do it cold turkey Sharron

• tman55
      Quit 1,400 days ago
      1 month ago #

Good luck cox...we will all be rooting for you! This won't be easy...no use trying to sugar coat it but if you dig in hard and take it a minute at a time pretty soon it turns to hours,days and weeks.

• s
        sharrron11
        Quit 51 days ago
        1 month ago #

thanks so much - i'm sure i will be posting often

• tman55
          Quit 1,400 days ago
          1 month ago #

We’ll cheerlead you all the way!!

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Great to hear Sharrron11, a key to success is to have a lot of support as you go through your quit journey. We are here for you.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• El Chapo
      Quit 2,725 days ago
      2 weeks ago #

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++More power to you.

• s
    sharrron11
    Quit 51 days ago
    1 month ago #

Hi - i guess quit day is today instead of tomorrow since my husband quit today. I'm not about to start smoking outside when it's -30 without the wind chill

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,270 days ago
    1 month ago #

Welcome sharron. Good for both of you. Imagine the money you will save. Do take advantage of all the help here. Do run your own race. Do what works for you. Winning big time!

• s
      sharrron11
      Quit 51 days ago
      1 month ago #

thanks!!!!!

• tman55
        Quit 1,400 days ago
        1 month ago #

I quit first then my wife followed a few months later. We have saved well over 35000$. Like m.m says...run your own race. Just don't smoke. This can be done!!

• s
          sharrron11
          Quit 51 days ago
          1 month ago #

as soon as quitting becomes difficult, i cave - this isn't my first time at quitting and i have used everything available for helping a person quit

• tman55
    Quit 1,400 days ago
    1 month ago #

Well sharrron...addiction is hard to break. I smoked over a pack a day for over 30 years. All I can say is that it can be done. Champix was my savior...others have used other methods. Don't let your inner junkie run your life anymore. Kick his ass today, tomorrow, forever!!

• jdthnk
    Quit 53 days ago
    1 month ago #

I am happy to be here. This is my second day of my quit. I have joined the Run to Quit program and feel excited that 2018 is going to be a smoke free year for me! It is great to have your support! Please know that you have mine.

• tman55
      Quit 1,400 days ago
      1 month ago #

Good deal jd! Best GD decision you’ll ever make. Dig in and get ready for a fight. Your inner junkie is pretty strong at the beginning but he turns into a wimp soon. Kick his ash every day!!

• jdthnk
        Quit 53 days ago
        1 month ago #

Day three - I have tears but I am not going to smoke. So grateful for your support

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,270 days ago
      1 month ago #

Welcome jd. You have made a wise decision. It is doable. What tmann said is true. Be prepared to fight because we often are unaware how hooked we are till we try to get off. But when the battle is won the pay off is great. The victor gets the spoils!

• jdthnk
        Quit 53 days ago
        1 month ago #

Thank you m.m. My tears are flowing even though I had a great day. My night was rough. I have been fighting hard against my urge to smoke. I have had a long bath, let myself cry (I told my kids ahead of time that I was okay) got ice-cream to celebrate day three of my quit and now I am on this site - all of this has helped me to remember I am reaching my goal. I haven't smoked and I am proud of that.

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Congrats Jdthnk on starting your Quit Journey. The Run to Quit is a great program. Keep moving forward.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• jdthnk
        Quit 53 days ago
        1 month ago #

Yes congrats is right. I was feeling like a failure for some reason. I am coming out ahead today. Tomorrow will be my fourth day, not my first again, my fourth! Thank you.

• s
    sharrron11
    Quit 51 days ago
    1 month ago #

would anyone recommend using an e-cigarette?

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,270 days ago
      1 month ago #

Good Morning sharron. You mentioned that you have been on this road before. Did you try using any other nicotine replacements in the past? That treatment can be useful but it can also fool you into thinking that you are doing something when you are just prolonging the suffering. I did the patch for about ten years but I still would have three cigs a day. Morning, noon and night. I myself never bought a vape machine but I know a few people who do. Myself I think it is just another sneaky way for the tobacco companies to screw you over. They win because you are still handing over your money to them. They do not care how you use it, as long as you pay them for it. I love the fact that I no longer need to go to Costco and buy $80.00 worth of patches and a carton for me and a tub for him and papers on top of it. Crazy. Those vape machines are costly. In this war you are in, to free yourself, the nicodemons first defense is bargaining. Patch, vape, chew, get that nicotine in you. So tread lightly my friend.

• tman55
        Quit 1,400 days ago
        1 month ago #

Totally up to you but I’ve seen people grip those vapes as tight as a cig. To me, it’s trading one addiction for another and just as costly but if it gets you off the cigs maybe it’s worth it?

• Janelle2
    Quit 50 days ago
    1 month ago #

Today is my quit day... a slip this morning and a couple this evening. Patch is on now. I'm going to need support when I quit in the past it really helped to check in with others who were quitting as well

• tman55
      Quit 1,400 days ago
      1 month ago #

We love new quitters here Janelle! Get ready for a fight cause it’s not easy!! We will cheerlead you all the way! Best damn decision ever!!

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Congrats Janelle2 for starting your quit journey. The best way to view your slips are as a learning opportunity. Slips tend to occur around the same time, experiencing similar emotions, being around certain situations. Have a look at what was happening when you slipped and come up with at least 3 ways to deal with the situation differently. Who might be able to support your through these times.

Glad you made the decision to quit. Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,270 days ago
      1 month ago #

I say hello and welcome. The other new people will need you. No one has to do this alone. The sooner you get free of this hoax the better. Challenge yourself. You might like what you learn.

• s
      sharrron11
      Quit 51 days ago
      1 month ago #

hi - my real quit day was yesterday but i slipped and had a few, certainly not the same number i smoked before - trying harder today

• tman55
        Quit 1,400 days ago
        1 month ago #

N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever! Keep fightin sharrron.

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,270 days ago
    1 month ago #

I encourage you to write down in a journal if you can. Early on in my journey I was told to keep track of my triggers and cues. Most of smoking is done on a sub conscious level. It is so automatic we do not even think about it. Off the top of my head I could think of my five favors ones, and truly only three that I needed, but some how I managed to squeeze twenty-five in. Now I can not even imagine. You can not hit something you can not see, so write it down. "I will be free of cigarettes!" This is completely doable. The feelings and emotions that you are having are a big part of making this change. I have read that all of our motivations are emotional and they can work in your favor. Addiction is complex. Keep reading, keep sharing, we are here for you.

• B
    Bronte
    Quit 18 days ago
    1 month ago #

Hi everyone, I'm new here...I've been smoking for 18 years and now it's time to quit...my quit date is February 3. I'm getting everything together now to able to cope with withdrawals I'm looking forward to this journey with you all...

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,270 days ago
      1 month ago #

Welcome. With only 18 years in this should be a snap! Just kidding. It is true that any time and money spent on nicotine is a rip off on a grand scale. The change that took place in your brain chemistry happened a long time ago. This is about change and it is doable. Each person has their own journey but a lot of this is the same for every human on the planet. Any human who smokes gets hooked and any human can stop. One thing that is a fact for all of us is the pay off is healthier and wealthier. The question is.... How is smoking really working for you? If there was a pill or a vaccine that would change your need for nicotine would you take it? What would you be willing to pay for it? Be Brave. Welcome!

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Welcome Bronte and congrats on your decision to begin your journey of being a non-smoker. Preparation is key. Make a list of your High Risk situations and plans for dealing with them. Plenty of support is a good idea. There a lot of regulars here in the forums who will help you along the way.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• Libbyb
      Quit 93 days ago
      3 weeks ago #

Hey Bronte. I’m what you’d call a serial quitter. It’s getting better everytime. I learn more and have reached a point like no other quits. Good luck on your journey. I’m proud of you and there are lots of amazing people here to join you in your quit. Your not alone.

• B
        Bronte
        Quit 18 days ago
        3 weeks ago #

I've tried quitting several times but this time I plan to be successful...I'm going the cold turkey route,so I'm armed with the tools that I need...I had an infuriating moment today but it worked out

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,270 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

Have you ever gone cold turkey before?

• B
      Bronte
      Quit 18 days ago
      3 weeks ago #

Yes...and failed

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,270 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

Ha! Cold turkey scared the heck out of me!!!! Most of us have tried climbing up this hill more then once! This program has more then a few threads of assistance. This is challenging but doable! I hope we can help! Life is better when you are no longer dictated to by your addicted brain. Welcome.

• j
    john gordon
    Quitting today
    2 weeks ago #

I quit for 2 weeks on champix and one week on zyban.l tried everything. the zyban would of worked the firsttime but l though my menyal health was more important.

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,270 days ago
      2 weeks ago #

Hello jg. Welcome to our group. I see you are planning to get going in this soon and I congratulate you on your decision. This site has many connections that can help. Education about tobacco and how to get free. Hope we can help!

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Welcome to the Community Forums John Gordon. Thinking about quitting is an important step to gather together the supports you will need to be successful. While you are currently smoking keep track of the times you smoke. As you take that cigarette out of the package, record the time, date, situation and feelings. This will help you when you make your quit.

In the "Thinking of Quitting" section on this website, have a look at the " Practice Quit Campaign" which might be a good strategy for you at this time.

What is a practice quit?

A short commitment to quitting tobacco that helps you build the skills and confidence to become tobacco-free for good.

Why practice quit?

-Practice quits give you a chance to learn what your challenges might be during a longer quit. -Practice quit days have been shown to delay or prevent relapse.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment