• Author
  • Topic
Brian3

Practice Quit

December 11, 2018
Report this post

Are you planning on quitting for the New Year? Are you thinking about maybe quitting but just don't feel ready? Try a practice quit. Choose 1, 3 or 5 days to try your quit. Use this time to figure out what works for you and what and does not. What was hardest? What was your biggest trigger? After the practice quit, you can use all of this information to plan for a longer quit.

Visit http://bit.ly/ABPractices for more information.

If you have any questions please let me know, Brian (AlbertaQuits)

Sign in to reply
  • Terry1963
    Quit 220 days ago
    1 month ago #

I can't wait for New Years. My lozenges will be cheaper

• Carolyn
    Quit 4,695 days ago
    1 month ago #

One thing I am sure you will discover is how much you hate day 1. I am so thankful I never again have to do day one! I personally had tons of practice quits - thankful for this forever quit. Quitting is doable!

• Tess
    Quit 477 days ago
    1 month ago #

I never did a practice quit and had NO idea what I was in for after a 40 year smoking career!! I think the 'practice' is a fabulous suggestion. Everyone is different as to what works for them. My only saving grace is that I'm stubborn - a blessing and a curse lol!

• K
    Kev
    Thinking about quitting
    3 weeks ago #

I want to quit very soon. I had quit for 5 years about 10 years ago and like a fool I started during very stressful time (unwell and ended up in wheelchair). I am home all the time with my dog during the day and my wife in the evening who quit in July. Feeling very guilty for continuing to smoke.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Welcome to the community Kev. Wow 5 years how did you manage to do that? Those things that worked for you in the past will likely work again for you, with a little updating. As you have seen there is a lot of support and experience here. Pick a quit date and work towards it.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,604 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

Welcome Kev. Quitting is doable as you have proof that you did. Quitting is worth it. The benefits of being free are way more value then the hit of relief that smoking gives you. The reason we all smoke is to prevent withdrawal. Any quit can be the forever quit and any quit can be lost. The posts here are fantastic and writing your own thoughts help others. Your in. Welcome!

• tman55
    Quit 1,734 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

Join in Kev....never too late!'

• M
    Monnie626
    Quit 7 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

Started practice quit today. I feel emotional and weepy. Is this normal. Also super crabby.

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,604 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

Hi Monnie. Congratulations. Nothing will be normal for a bit. If you are feeling all that you must be going without nicotine. That is the end goal. I am not sure what a practice quit is unless that is what the dozen attempts I had that failed were. I did learn something from everyone. First time ever? Many of us have had a quit and the lost it. I am over four years in and it is the best thing I could have ever done. I quit out of fear but I stay quit now because of the benefits. It is a bumpy ride at first. So I hold out my hand in the hopes that it can help do some good. Tobacco use is a scam. You have been cat fished. Getting off is hard but it is doable.

• Brian3
    2 weeks ago #

Welcome to the Community Monnie626. You bet it is normal, all part of the withdrawal from the nicotine. Be aware of the times/places that you feel like you would like a to smoke. These are the high risk times you will need to plan ahead for. Congrats on making the decision to do a practice quit. You will find a lot of support here so keep in touch.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• DeeTee
    Quit 16 days ago
    1 week ago #

I have been quit for 5 days now. My very first attempt and truly i never WANT to go back. But.... thoughts like "who cares just smoke" and the fear of always wanting to smoke are very strong too! Will these thoughts ever go away completely?

Thanks !

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,604 days ago
    1 week ago #

YES ! In fact you will wake up and celebrate the day you got free! It is true that the space you are in right now is horrible but you are changing your brain chemistry. Cold turkey? Or NRT? I am days away from hitting the reality that if I did not step up and hang on I would have spent $20,000.00 dollars on tobacco. If money is no object for you the other number is really more important. Forty Thousand cigarettes not smoked! The bottom line is that you care. You really do. Welcome and congrats on your wonderful choice.

• DeeTee
      Quit 16 days ago
      1 week ago #

Yes cold turkey. Money saved is forsure a motive. Now i can use the extra $$ to better my health. So glad to hear the thoughts will go away thanks for sharing m.m!

• BobbieB
        Quit 336 days ago
        1 week ago #

Congrats Dee Tee! Gets easier every day!

• DeeTee
          Quit 16 days ago
          1 week ago #

Thanks BobbieB!

• Brian3
    1 week ago #

Welcome to the community Dee Tee. Congrats on your decision to start your quit journey. Withdrawal from nicotine indeed creates a lot of discomfort. It will take a bit of time for things to smooth out. Now is the time to do some planning on how to deal with those high risks that will be coming up.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment