• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,695 days ago

Do you really miss smoking?

January 10, 2019
Report this post

Excellent words of wisdom from Dave - who I really do miss. I really thought I missed smoking in those early days - I cried and cried at the injustice of me not smoking. When the smoke clears - you realize you miss nothing because you are once again free - free as you should be. Have a good one. KTQ Cara D4684

**********************************************************************************************************

Do You Really Miss Smoking? From Titotiger on 2/7/2008 9:17:59 AM

I posted this when I was 149 days quit and kept it in my library. This was not only a message to others; it was a memo to myself as well.

Do you really miss smoking?

Every once in a while I see someone Post saying how much they miss their cigarettes. This has gotten the best of my curiosity and I was wondering exactly what it is that people miss.

Perhaps you miss the expense of smoking. Most smokers are paying anywhere from $5 - $10 a pack. (Ask your Canadian friends how much they are paying.) If you are paying $5 a pack and smoked A pack a day, that's about $1,800 a year. If that's not expensive enough perhaps you miss burning holes in your favorite suit or favorite dress or putting a nice burn hole in your favorite chair. You know that little hole you get with the nice brown rim when an ash has a mind of its own? Maybe you miss smiling with those yellow stained teeth. Or perhaps you liked smelling like a cigarette. You don't really think that breath mint helped now did you? Or did you like your car or house smelling like an ashtray. Did that pine air freshener do anything for you? It didn't do anything for me. Is that what you miss? How about the sinus headaches and colds you got from smoking. Do you really miss them? Or that smokers cough you developed, was that a fond memory? I don't think so. And did you like to stand outside in the cold and in the rain to have a cigarette while your nonsmoking friends were dry and warm inside? Are you that much the outdoors type?

You see the truth of the matter is you didn't really like smoking did you? At least not as much as you thought you did. That's why you joined The Q. So the next time you get that wild craving for a cigarette, why not think about all the things you are really missing and the benefits you have gained by not smoking. When I see people smoking now I don't think, "Man I wish I were smoking like them." I think of how much better I look and feel and in fact how much healthier I truly am. I think about how much money I'm saving and about how far I have come. I look at them smoking and say, "Too bad they can't be a non-smoker like me."

Don't let the Nicodemon deceive you. You're not missing anything; you are only gaining.

See You At The Top Dave

Sign in to reply
  • tman55
    Quit 1,734 days ago
    1 week ago #

Great post. It's the stench of a person who has just smoked that continues to motivate me. I can't imagine the people I irritated over those twenty years of smoking rooms in airports. That being said tho, the last few nights I've had some blurry dreams of me smoking again? Wtf? It's a relief tho when I open my eyes and realize I am still a quitter and a damn good one!!

• eupnea
    Quit 21 days ago
    1 week ago #

I can swear I smell cigarette smoke in my nose all night tonight, including now, wide awake in bed, like it’s coming from outside my window. I know it isn’t, no one smokes in the house (I never did either), it’s really weird. Anyone ever experience this? Is this my sinuses clearing?? Annoying as heck.

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,604 days ago
      1 week ago #

That is interesting eupnea. My senses became heightened early on in my quit. I could hear a lighter click from two rooms away. If you are using the vape as NRT you are still getting your nicotine but I found that even when I was on the patch I still wanted that occasional smoke. I suspect that there is other chemical besides the nicotine that may be habit forming. The subconscious brain is trying to get your attention. Like tmann said today he still has dreams of smoking. You are in a fight for your life and with yourself. Sight, sound and smell are the primary triggers to get your attention. Both physical and mental attachments.

• eupnea
        Quit 21 days ago
        3 days ago #

lol, I figured it out. Neighbor lady smokes outside, depending on the wind direction, she's either in front or on the side of her house. When on the side, my bedroom is very close. So it has always happened on and off, just figure I smell it more as an alien substance now that it's an alien substance, ya know?

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,604 days ago
    1 week ago #

Despite evidence of harm. Great post. The first trip I took to Mexico I could smoke everywhere. I LOVED it. It was like back in LaLa Land. But my reality at home was not like that. Over the years it got more difficult. So list of reasons to quit got longer. All of the above and more. But despite reality I carried on. Because I was addicted.

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment