• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,787 days ago

A journey of 1 year......

February 7, 2019
Report this post

Good one. KTQ Cara D4712

******************************************************************************************************************************

Subject: A journey of 1 year From: swrocket Date: 2012-02-10 11:29:58 Message: begins with a single step.

I’m going to start this by reposting something from my library. It’s from a dear old friend who isn’t able to visit the Q anymore. Most will recognize Russ…some won’t. Whether you knew him or not doesn’t really matter…just know he’d like you all to remember his words. You can learn more at his profile at “Gratefuladdict”. I think he’d like the fact that I used him as part of my 1 year ramble very much…. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ From regionalsmoker on 4/4/2005 11:55:10 AM

I quit here 905 days ago. This place is the sole reason I was able to quit. I am a cross addicted alcoholic/heroin user in recovery for 27 years. Yet smoking was the hardest thing I ever quit. I don't get in here much anymore, but I'll leave you with my top ten. It's my top ten. Not yours. But some of it may work for you. This is my "occassional" effort to perform Number 8. Good luck.

Reginald von Analsmoke

1. I can't quit for you. You have to do it. 2. Quitting is hard work. If you've always been "taken care of", this will be tough. 3. You can't quit for your wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend. 4. No crying. And don't ever ask me for a hug, or offer me one. 5. If you don't reset your gadget after even one cigarette, I think you're dishonest. 6. Learn to laugh. There's some funny people in here. Take advantage. 7. Listen to the oldtimers, but don't let them get preachy with you. 8. Help a newbie, and you'll be helping yourself. It's called "keeping the memory green". 9. Think of sex instead of smoking. It works for me. 10. Many people come to Quitnet and succeed. Many succeed over and over. So if your quit only lasts a few days or weeks, come back and try again. Every day without smoking is a successful day. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additionally, I wrote something quite a few years ago, on the occasion of being quit 70 days (during my “serial quitter” phase) that I intended to re-write and post here today. After reading it over—I decided I couldn’t come up with any new or otherwise earth-shattering revelations that might fit the occasion and improve on the original. Remember, quitting has nothing to do with “luck”. It has to do with not smoking. Period. For all the support and friendships I’ve had and made here…I thank you from the bottom of my lungs…..Now, for your perusal, I submit some observations… ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Survival Instinct....

The human mind is a maze of conflicting messages and instructions. When presented with life and death decisions, adrenalin kicks in and the the mind will attempt to save harm to the physical body by any means available. Think of the myriad of occasions when your decision making process, either conscious or un-conscious, has stopped you from acting in ways that could harm your body. Whether it be the instinctive evasion of a would-be attacker or the swerve of your car to avoid the idiot on a two lane highway wandering into your lane of travel while lighting a cigarette, our mind reacts to "save" us.

Ironic, isn't it, that the mind will allow us to reach for that pack of cigarettes, deftly open it with that flair that we are so proud of, pull one out, put it between our lips, light it, and draw the invasive, non-natural colloidal mixture that is cigarette smoke into our lungs. The addiction allows our mind to rationalize this act as if it were a simple, life giving, sip of water.

To be successful in our (your) quit, we need to convince the mind that this activity is no less dangerous than diving into an empty swimming pool, committing suicide by jumping off a 20 story bridge or putting a 9mm pistol in your mouth and pulling the trigger. Would your mind allow you to do any of these? ...or would self-preservation prevent you from taking that last step? I think we all know the answers to this scenario. Yet the mind will ignore what it knows about survival and continue to obsess on having that "one" cigarette to satisfy the addiction that we are all battling daily. The irony again rears its' ugly head.

I have adopted a mindset and consciously "decide" every minute of every day, to let the instinct of self-preservation control my actions. It's no different than allowing our mind to react to danger automatically....except you have to consciously remind yourself that smoking is a life-threatening activity. No---it won't end our lives as dramatically as that head on collision. Nor will it spatter our brains on the plaster at the bottom of the empty pool....but it will end our lives just as finally as either of these. It will just take longer and take on a different form.....it won't be an instant end of existence. It may be a slow, revolting, horrific and painful end. One that our families may have to suffer through and endure with us---but it will be an end none the less.

I'm not a fan of scare tactics that some in here use as a reason for quitting and this analogy is not meant to scare...only to make us all develop a different mindset in dealing with craves and slips (which I have had). When I think about having "just one" I remind myself... It won't taste good, it will cause a physical reaction that is akin to a stomach virus, and it won't "fix" that problem or ease the tension that caused the slip in the first place. Convince your sub-conscious mind that YOUR survival is more important than ingesting nicotine into your lungs. It's not "rocket" science. (pun intended)

Live your quit with this in mind.

And "survive".

Randy

(You've been Quit 365 days.)

Sign in to reply
  • m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,696 days ago
    2 months ago #

BobbieB is coming up to one year and it truly is a reason to celebrate. We all got fooled into taking a drug that has been proven harmful. The really good news is that it is possible to make this change. Great job on your quit BobbieB and I know you Know the reality of nicotine. The subconscious mind is why I hit the hypnotist so many times. Who knew I was the boss of it.

• BobbieB
      Quit 428 days ago
      2 months ago #

Awe m.m. Thank you :) coming up to a year is definitely exciting and shocking. Yes we are in control of those “subconscious “ thoughts.. just a matter of our awareness of them. Thanks for all your help.

• Terry1963
    Quit 312 days ago
    2 months ago #

I have been thinking about your 1 year Bobbie B. Look what you've accomplished. Do something fun on your special day. You Rock!!

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment