Bupropion SR (Zyban®)
Bupropion SR (Zyban®) is an antidepressant pill that helps balance the natural chemicals in your brain. It reduces the desire to smoke, decreases withdrawal symptoms, and reduces weight gain sometimes seen when you quit. You will need a prescription if you wish to use Bupropion.
How do I use it?
- Take as directed by your doctor or pharmacist
- Begin taking at least 1 to 2 weeks before you quit smoking
- Can take with food to reduce upset stomach
- Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew tablets
- If you miss a dose, wait and take your next dose at the usual time. Do not double up on the dose.
- Once you have quit using tobacco, keep taking according to your doctor’s instructions
What else should I know?
- Do not drink alcohol with this medication
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light
- Keep out of reach of children and pets
- Don’t take this medicine if you are 17 or younger
Potential side effects of Bupropion SR include:
- Dry mouth, sweating, headache
- Weight loss
- Trouble sleeping or unusual dreams (take your second dose no later than 4 p.m.)
- Dizziness: do not drive or use heavy machinery until you know how this medicine affects you
- Depressed mood, agitation, changes in behaviour, suicidal thoughts. If you experience any of these side effects, stop taking the medication and talk to your doctor right away. This medicine has not been proven to cause these symptoms.