• Author
  • Topic
LauraK
Quit 2,719 days ago

AlbertaQuits posting etiquette update

August 29, 2017
Report this post

Hello AlbertaQuits members,

We have recently updated our posting etiquette. Please note the following addition:

"Please limit or avoid reposting old posts to ensure the forums do not become flooded, thereby taking away from newer conversations. We are removing posts which are older than 6 months from the forum."

You will soon notice old posts being removed. This is all to ensure we can manage content and that we are offering an engaging space for all of our members.

Thank you,

The AlbertaQuits Team

https://www.albertaquits.ca/my-community/forum/posting-etiquette

Sign in to reply
  • Carolyn
    Quit 4,271 days ago
    3 months ago #

Good morning So that means that the reposts I post are not allowed? Those are helpful to people - so I thought but I will stop.

• LauraK
      Quit 2,719 days ago
      3 months ago #

Good morning Carolyn,

We appreciate each and every post made. However, it has been noted that the reposts specifically make it difficult for people who aren't on every day to find their topic, or for new people to comment on them before they are lost on later pages. We hope you understand and that you will continue your daily encouragement of our community. Thank you,

Laura On behalf of AlbertaQuits

• tman55
    Quit 1,310 days ago
    3 months ago #

No comment.

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,180 days ago
    3 months ago #

I hope you allow some of the reposts. Sometimes repeating is very helpful.

• Libbyb
    Quit 3 days ago
    2 months ago #

As a newer member, I see a handful of the same people on here and no new ones. Also, some of those posts are so very helpful for me! I understand but if it's not completely necessary then don't stop the reposts.

• LauraK
    Quit 2,719 days ago
    2 months ago #

Good morning everyone,

We appreciate your opinions and are always open to feedback.

However, it has been noted that the large number of reposts made it difficult for newcomers to join a conversation, as they were more information and less discussion. A large volume of posts also dilutes the threads that are more conversational and moves them onto later pages quite quickly. We are going to be running another promotion of these forums soon and hope that these efforts will encourage more participation.

Please bear with our efforts. And again, thank you for your support of the AlbertaQuits community.

Regards,

Laura On behalf of AlbertaQuits

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,180 days ago
      2 months ago #

I understand clearing out old stuff but Caras' posts are not ' flooding' the site and have been something I look forward to. I do not understand asking her to stop posting her two a day. We welcome all new comers. I was hoping that there was a misunderstanding. I would vote for those posts to come back.

• Bugsdadda
    Quit 4,330 days ago
    2 months ago #

Cara, don't stop because they are useful. Reduce it to one a day so that the pages fill half as fast. This will help both sides of the question. Thanks!

• Carolyn
    Quit 4,271 days ago
    2 months ago #

I thought of that - but I got the impression that any were not allowed and I do not want to break rules.

I have to be honest - and I will be writing an email today to both this site and the Minister of Health.

We used to have access to the Alberta Forum in Quitnet.com -great site and I still post on quitnet.com daily. I do more there then here and never once have had a complaint. They have changed the format, the boards move fast but the way it is set up allows you to see your posts and replies, allows you to see people who you deem as friends - you can look at their posts and you have a private mail. You can also follow on the main board.

This site excuse my bluntness has been an after thought. I have told many about it. People come and leave cause no one is posting and frankly for a long time I watched the site when the Alberta forum was close in quitnet and did not bother to come as I saw no point.

I found that the extensive library of reposts I saved from the old quit net - posts that helped me in my quit journey and hence my reposts were born. In quit net, I have people contact me and say here is a great repost for you and I save it. I try to mix it up and I know sometimes I post things more then once, but the reality is that sometimes you post it on the day that someone needed to see it and that does my heart good.

Anyways - thanks for the kind words my fellow quitters here - I again invite you to quitnet.com as you can read my reposts there and look me up I am teach404

Have a good day. Cara

• Libbyb
      Quit 3 days ago
      2 months ago #

I'll be seeing you there! You've been a huge strength in my quit with your dedication and posts.

• tman55
    Quit 1,310 days ago
    2 months ago #

There are 5 or 6 regular posters here. How do a couple reposts clog things up?

• Bugsdadda
    Quit 4,330 days ago
    2 months ago #

Once again, we see that AHS has no idea what it is doing in this forum business, and never has. This is a situation wherein they need to let the inmates run the asylum, and since they stopped paying for QuitNet, they haven't listened to enough suggestions, if any, on how to maintain a quitter's interest in this site.

What discussions are being diluted? What has been noted, and by whom, Laura? Your vagueness turns everyone off.

• Chrysta
    2 months ago #

Thank you so much for taking the time to be open and honest with your concerns. We want to be clear that in no way was our post directed at one user only. We were simply posting in response to a number of concerns that had been raised directly to us, from some newer users, that re-posts were making it difficult to use the forum.

We always strive to find a balance, as best as we can, between the needs of the many different users who do engage in our forums, every week. We know that sometimes, we too can improve on our approach, and we apologize for any offense that anyone felt upon reading our etiquette posting.

As we note, we do have some etiquette guidelines that we have developed to try to meet and balance the requests and needs of the many different forum participants we have.

These can be found at https://www.albertaquits.ca/my-community/forum/posting-etiquette.

That being said, we are always open to discussion, so if you would like to provide further feedback, please email us at tru@ahs.ca. This will ensure that your feedback is heard, while we keep the forum open for discussions and support about tobacco.

We hope that this post reassures everyone that we too are always working to improve the AlbertaQuits experience, and that we value and appreciate the role of all Albertans in the effort to become tobacco free.

Sincerely - The AlbertaQuits Team

• C
    Concretekarma
    Quit 91 days ago
    2 months ago #

Wow a lot of negativity towards the forum and Alberta quits team in general. Let all be adults and continue to support one another. I am new here and look forward to joining in the discussions and getting the info and support I need.

• Libbyb
      Quit 3 days ago
      2 months ago #

Not negativity. Just honest opinions by adults.

I'm pretty new here too and have found the site very helpful but opinions and feedback is what makes a place better. No?

The elders here have given amazing support and your in the right place for your quit.

• tman55
    Quit 1,310 days ago
    2 months ago #

I just find it odd that not one newcomer on here has ever complained about being able to navigate thru this site?

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,180 days ago
    2 months ago #

Plenty of room for a repost or two. Plenty of room for other posters too.

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,180 days ago
    2 months ago #

Totally miss the reposts. It kept the site interesting.

• tman55
    Quit 1,310 days ago
    2 months ago #

They dont seem to get it?

• Libbyb
    Quit 3 days ago
    2 months ago #

I'm with you. The reposts give us reading material, insight and reminders why we stay quit. It's so helpful!!

• Carolyn
    Quit 4,271 days ago
    2 months ago #

Thank you so much everyone. Sorry if we sound negative to some but we really are not. We have been a small core of quitters who have been together for a time supporting each other in our quits. We have had minimal support from the site over years and were doing what worked for us here and we are simply trying to stand up for it.

I wrote my email last weekend and of course heard nothing back which is what I expected. I seriously thought of leaving this site as I see little purpose being here anymore - but it is the bond with my co-quitters that will keep me hanging in with them. I think the decision has been made that site has been changed and I again invite you to come to quitnetmeyouhealth.com I post my reposts daily there - unless I take the day off and you are welcome to qmail me at Teach404 - I can follow you in there as well.

Thank you my friends and fellow quitters You are amazing. Thank you to Alberta Health because it is through you I met these amazing people.

• M
    MW-21
    Quit 564 days ago
    2 months ago #

I only check in every once in awhile now, but I always looked forward to the daily pledge and repost. If you don't find it enlightening for that day, don't read them. Cara keep it up, and the other core quitters keep it up to. You don't know how many people you have helped, me being one of them.

• Libbyb
      Quit 3 days ago
      2 months ago #

Glad to hear it. I sent an email to this site saying the same thing. If they hear from more of us, maybe they'll give carol the go ahead to continue in her wonderful posts? And I think I've seen m.m repost too!

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment