• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,235 days ago

Craves

October 12, 2017
Report this post

Craves

I had a really hard time picking what to post today cause I love them both. I went with this one as I think craves is something each quitter experiences at some time to some degree. There never is a perfect time to quit - so just get to it and take smoking off the table as an option in your life. KTQ Cara D4229

*************************************************************************************************************************

Craves From gardener2007 on 11/9/2009 12:06:24 PM

Craves. As addicts we all get them from time to time. Every once in a great while I’ll get a crave, and I remind myself I never have to have THIS crave again as long as I stick to NOPE. Once past it, I want to be past it forever.

Just like in childbirth, each labor pain meant you were that much closer to having your baby in your arms. You relished the pain because you knew the outcome was so precious. As the pain got intense, you hunkered down and let it roll over you; not fighting the pain because you knew how counter-productive tense muscles were to the process. It is the same with quitting.

As a smoker, you crave cigarettes all the time. You are constantly planning your next smoke. All the time. All the time. All the time. Constantly stressed. Tense muscles. Fighting for relief. When you quit, craves take on a new cycle. They may be tough today, but are better tomorrow. They might be tough at 75 days, but a breeze for the two months before that. Unpredictable in timing, but you know someday they will occur. The craves might be intense for three straight days, and then a breeze for three straight months. My point is that you are not battling craves as much when you quit, as you did smoking.

Craves after quitting are often compared to riding a roller coaster. At first it is thrilling, frightening for some, painful for others, and often at the limit of your endurance, but manageable. You learn to expect the unexpected. You learn to not listen to the addict’s lies running through your head. You learn coping skills to help get you through. You know there will be another crave, you just don’t know when, and at some point the wild ride is over for good, unless you buy another ticket to ride. I don’t know about you, but I want this to be my last ride on the quit coaster.

You can survive craves. No one has died from a crave. People die all the time from smoking, but no one died from quitting. And that is what this is all about. Living. It is easier to survive a crave than to endure radiation, chemo, a heart attack, stroke, or emphysema. A bad episode of craves is more like getting a bad cold; hell to endure, but you know you will get better. And the great thing about beating down a crave is it gives you the confidence to beat down the next, and the next. You can conquer any crave that comes your way, because you learn that craves are our way of asking ourselves for permission to smoke. There is only one answer to that – NOPE. It is the only answer we can give if we want our freedom. A crave is not some sinister, mystical force that controls you, it is your body’s chemically conditioned response to nicotine, and you have the ability to survive without nicotine.

Don’t tell me this isn’t a good time to quit. There is never a good time to quit. Don’t tell me you have to cave into your crave. There is not a reason good enough. Smoking has been proven to CAUSE stress, not relieve it. Just try googling ‘smoking causes stress’, and you will come up with one research study after another proving this. Smokers are miserable all the time, but quitters only have craves on occasion, and as time goes on, craves can become extinct. Think about the last time you were going through a very difficult time. I bet you smoked more often. Did it really help you, or did you still have all the problems you had before plus a smoker’s headache from smoking too much? Smoking took up a lot of your energy then; energy you needed for dealing with your problems. You may WANT to rationalize that it helped you think, but most likely you were putting everything else on hold for a few minutes to concentrate, and you could have done that even better if you had not had a cigarette in your hand distracting you.

Life makes each of us stronger than we know. We all have the power to endure. We all have survived the unknowns of life, and lived to tell the tale. Quitting is a well described hell, but rarely do you hear the truth. Quitting is doable. People who want to throw away their quit will tell the world how hard quitting is, and in the process scare themselves and every other smoker away from attempting to quit. Smokers need to know that they have the ability to do this. You can survive one crave at a time.

Laurie

Sign in to reply
  • T
    Tess
    Quit 17 days ago
    5 days ago #

Well said and very inspirational! Thanks for re-sharing :)

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment