• Author
  • Topic
Brian3

Welcome to the General Discussion Forum

February 2, 2018
Report this post

Thinking of Quitting? Recently Quit? Quit for some time.

Wherever you are along the journey of quitting your use of tobacco, you will find support here.

My name is Brian and I am your moderator. Along with our regular members, I am here to provide additional assistance and support. Please follow our simple guidelines to ensure a positive experience for all our participants.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

Sign in to reply
  • tlo83
    Quit 80 days ago
    2 months ago #

Quit day was yesterday. I started taking Champix on January 16, 2018. So far so good got the urges and its hard but I am managing. I just want to make sure I keep at it. Bought some carrots mixed nuts and flax and spitz

• Brian3
      2 months ago #

Congrats Tlo83 on your decision to quit and here is to your first day smoke free. Try to remember that urges come and go. The trick is to ride them out. They will subside. Imagine the urge like a wave and you are in a rowboat ahead of it. Keep paddling, stay ahead of the wave and it will crash. The carrots, nuts and stuff will certainly help.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• tbueckert
      Quit 70 days ago
      2 months ago #

Tara?

• Brian3
        2 months ago #

Hi Tbueckert, I see you have quit 5 days ago, congrats on your decision to stop smoking. This group has a lot of supportive people who have many combined yrs of being smoke free. The journey begins.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• tbueckert
    Quit 70 days ago
    1 month ago #

2 weeks for me with 6 slip ups, only 3 puffs. Today is a really hard day for cravings!

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Hey Tbuekert,

Welcome to the group. Beginnings can be hard. Takes time for the nicotine to get out of the system so urges and cravings can be an issue. Don't get down on yourself with the slips. Pick them apart so that you can make plans to deal with similar issues in the future. Have a look at the time, situation and how you were feeling when you had the slips or around the cravings. Now make a plan of what you will do different and include what or who will support you. You will find the regulars here are a great source of inspiration and support.

Congrats on joining the journey to being a non-smoker.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• tbueckert
        Quit 70 days ago
        1 month ago #

Really having intense cravings.

• tman55
          Quit 1,460 days ago
          1 month ago #

Tbueckert...jump in and pledge with us each day. Hope you beat those cravings. Deep breaths really helped me conquer the crave.

• Brian3
          1 month ago #

Hang in there, check out the section called Conquering Cravings under the Quitting Smoking section. There are some good ideas there.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
          m.m.
          Quit 1,330 days ago
          1 month ago #

Those cravings can be horrible. This is where you truly learn what smoking has done to you. Like a bad Zombie movie the tobacco has taken over your brain. All those years when you thought you enjoyed smoking the reality is it has always been about withdrawal prevention. At this point in time you are that little white tube slave. And you get to pay for it with your health and wealth. This can be beat. Change is possible but with every change there is resistance. The first steps are the hardest. Half way through it gets better, and when you get to the top it is great. You got this! Keep going!

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Tbueckert, I seem to have repeated myself to you in Welcoming you. If you start your own message you will get more responses from the regular users.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• J
    Jojoba
    Quit 69 days ago
    1 month ago #

This is a very helpful site. Just found it yesterday & glad I did. Getting past the 3 Rd week now hooray ! .. I will def keep looking back here for inspiration & motivation. You are all very strong peeps.

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Hi Jojoba,

Welcome to the the Community Forum and congrats on your decision quit your use of tobacco. As you have found there are a lot of regulars who will offer you some good insight and a lot of support.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• Dutchess44
    Quit 14 days ago
    1 month ago #

I ordered my Champix. Planning on taking the first oil on the 12th of March. Quitting day will be 20th. I've tried everything but this. I hear the most common side effect is bad dreams. Are they really that bad. Anyone else had or has other side effects I should watch for? Thx M

• Dutchess44
      Quit 14 days ago
      1 month ago #

First pil *

• m
        m.m.
        Quit 1,330 days ago
        1 month ago #

Welcome Dutchess44 and congrats on choosing a new path. Freedom road is worth it. Great things are in store for you. What will you do with your first $7000.00 dollars? I bought a tooth implant.

• Dutchess44
          Quit 14 days ago
          1 month ago #

I'm getting my parents from Holland over. Haven't seen them in real life in 8 years. I need their hugs and kisses.

• J
      Jojoba
      Quit 69 days ago
      1 month ago #

Hi dutchess, I was on champix. Without it I wouldn't have gotten this far .. I did have to stop it because of side effects. But it affects everyone differently.. it definitely gets rid of the crave to smoke !! Good luck with your quit. I have only recently found this site & slot of support & information here ! Keep up the great work. You can do this. One day at a time :)

• m
        m.m.
        Quit 1,330 days ago
        1 month ago #

Dutchess44. I LOVE that! What a fantastic goal! Grab on hold tight, we will get you there and them here!

• Dutchess44
        Quit 14 days ago
        1 month ago #

Thank for your encouragement!

• Dutchess44
          Quit 14 days ago
          1 month ago #

@jojoba ☝️

• Brian3
      1 month ago #

Hi Dutchess44,

Congrats on making the decision to start the journey. Trouble sleeping and unusual dreams is a common side effect. I will let those that have used this product talk about their experiences. Many use Champix with great success. Combine that with the support from this group and you will be on your way.

Great to you join our community, Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• Dutchess44
        Quit 14 days ago
        1 month ago #

Thank you. My other big goal is: if I'm smoke free for 6 months my boyfriend will marry me!

• Suze
          Quit 2,785 days ago
          3 weeks ago #

Wow there are a lot of carrots there and just in time for easter weekend! Good luck you silly wabbit!

• tman55
    Quit 1,460 days ago
    1 month ago #

Champix was my saviour. Can’t say I had weird dreams but there was some sleeplessness. Good luck. It ain’t easy but we are all here to tell you it can be done.

• Dutchess44
      Quit 14 days ago
      1 month ago #

@tman55 Thank you for your encouragement!

• jilayne
    Quit 24 days ago
    1 month ago #

Hello. Quit for two years and now back smoking for a year. I feel really disappointed in myself, but I really want to be free from the slavery of smoking!

• tman55
      Quit 1,460 days ago
      3 weeks ago #

I can relate....we probably all can. I blew a 2.5 yr quit, smoked for about another year and now am closing in on 4 years cig free. You already know what kind of battle your in for. Don't worry about any failed quits....go to work on a new one and start enjoying life the way it was meant to be before addiction.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Welcome Jilayne,

Wow 2 years of not smoking is a very good achievement. You know the saying, Pick yourself up, Dust yourself off, and keep moving forward. Over the time you were quit I am sure you made some good coping strategies. What worked in the past will work again. You also know some of the pitfalls. Plan ahead for these.

Great to see that you are determined to quit again. Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,330 days ago
    1 month ago #

Welcome and congratulations on choosing to come back! You have proven to yourself that it is doable. That is good! It is bumpy at first but remember that it is smoking that did this to you. What is your plan?

• c
    cherriot
    Quit 27 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

Quit on Mar 26, 2018. I'm actually doing ok with it so far! Going on day 3. :)

• tman55
      Quit 1,460 days ago
      3 weeks ago #

Welcome cherriot! Come pledge each day with the rest of us. We can't make your quit any easier but we will support you any way we can. Good luck! Best decision ever!

• c
        cherriot
        Quit 27 days ago
        3 weeks ago #

Thanks! Almost through day 4 and staying strong! I'll have to keep myself busy this weekend as it's a long weekend. Usually a couple rums would be involved but that will make me want to smoke so best to just avoid that too.

• tman55
          Quit 1,460 days ago
          3 weeks ago #

Keep fighting the good fight and it won't be long before you can enjoy those rums without worrying!!! Happy Easter.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

The days can add up quickly.

Welcome Cherriot and congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. Lots of great people here who can offer support and advice on how they did it. You can do this.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,330 days ago
    3 weeks ago #

It is doable! We all know the why but knowing how is another thing. There are many layers of support and it really helps! Welcome!

• c
    cherriot
    Quit 27 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

One week down! Had some wine on the weekend and was tempted. Gave in to one drag of a smoke and it tasted disgusting so I put it out. I will remember that the next time I have a couple of drinks and not even entertain having one drag. It's not worth it. I need to stay quit this time. I feel this is my time now.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Way to go. Good for you to stop after the first drag.

Really important to look ahead for those type of High Risks and make plans for how you will deal with them. Also make sure you have support to make sure your plans work.

Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,330 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

Congratulations Cherriot on one week down. The early days are full of traps to try and knock your quit down. The first one being the whisper that just one drag can't hurt. I think that for me it was not that quitting was so hard so much as falling back was so easy. Now that you have hit back at the nico demon it will come back harder next time. You are in a fight and we are on your side. To the victor goes the spoils. Health and wealth.

• c
      cherriot
      Quit 27 days ago
      2 weeks ago #

I'll be ready when the nico demon strikes again! That nagging whisper here and there is annoying and can't wait for it to just shut up. I will acknowledge it, tell myself "having a cigarette is a punishment, not a treat. Why would I willingly want to poison myself", and then move on. A bit of a short term uncomfortable feeling, which will pass, in turn for a long term gain. The more I do that the less the little whisper will bother me.

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,330 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

Great attitude. The thing to learn is that as a smoker we craved twenty five times a day. (I did) It is just that we satisfied it with the drug of our choice. The smoking habit piggybacks on many of the systems that enhance survival. Your brain is conditioned to react to that chemical. So a big part of this is changing your brain chemistry. That is why the pharmaceuticals can help. Even the patch is about providing your system with that chemistry. This is fundamental for every human past, present or future. There is a lot to learn. Keep posting. It is doable.

• c
    cherriot
    Quit 27 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

I find I'm thinking about the cigarette I would have when I got home from work. I would go all day with out one and not miss it. But then find myself looking forward to that relaxing moment when I got home and would light one up. I do other things now when I get home, changing my habit. Seems to be working and I'm hoping I'll think less and less about this. The post work smoke seems to pop into my mind a few times throughout the day.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Hey Cherriot,

This is a typical High Risk for a lot of people. Sounds like your plans to deal with this situation are working. It might help to have a plan for what you will do at work when the thoughts pop into your head. The good thing is that you see the High Risk and are successfully dealing with it.

Way to go. Brian (AlbertaQuits)

• c
        cherriot
        Quit 27 days ago
        2 weeks ago #

When I'm at work and the thought pops into my mind, I open up the Quit Tracker app on my phone and see how and where my health is improving, how much I've saved, and read some inspirational quotes. I'm treating myself with a nice reward once I've reach $100 saved.

• m
      m.m.
      Quit 1,330 days ago
      2 weeks ago #

Cheers Cherriot. I read you on this one. Three specific cigarettes had the strongest hold on me. The first one in the morning, the last one at night and the one when I got home from work. On a scale of one to ten with ten being the highest that one after work was a nine. Part of that is routine. The fact is a lot of smoking is automatic. When a person quits it disrupts the habits. Early in my quit I found it helpful to change things up as much as you can for a while. Stop and have a coffee as a reward for making it another day. Or something else that would work for you. My morning coffee and TV became tea and music and dancing.

• c
        cherriot
        Quit 27 days ago
        2 weeks ago #

I like your morning routine! Tea and dancing is awesome! The last couple of days I've been putting my cat on his leash and taking him out for a "walk" as soon as I get home from work. Other than that, I've been doing other things to distract myself from my previous habit. So far so good. :)

• c
    cherriot
    Quit 27 days ago
    2 weeks ago #

Feeling a little irritable lately. Smoking has been a part of my life on and off for almost 30 years. I'm happy I have been free of it for 10 days now though! The little whisper is trying to trick me into telling me I miss my relax time with smokes. I can't wait to hear less and less of that little voice. God knows I can relax without the aid of a cigarette! I guess I don't really like change but this is a change for my life. Breaking a bad habit and feeling a bit of annoyance with having to change can be done in order to live the healthier lifestyle I want. The annoyance will pass.

• Brian3
      2 weeks ago #

Good Morning Cherriot.

I copied you message and created a thread for you so that more people can see it. This message is getting so long new responses sometimes get missed.

It is tough making changes after doing something for 30 years. Patterns can be difficult to break and new ones are slow to develop. The natural instinct is to go back to what is comfortable. Being uncomfortable at this time is a good thing. It means you are on the right track.

Hang in there, Brian (AlbertaQuits)

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment