• Author
  • Topic
m
m.m.
Quit 1,749 days ago

PROUD.

January 7, 2019
Report this post

Tmann used that word yesterday. It is true. It really does feel good to be quit. It took a lot to get here. I lived with the conflict for years. I really wanted to quit but I really wanted to smoke. It was so easy to slip back. It was so hard to quit. Withdrawal sucks. I was hooked. When I called the number on the cigarette packet I shook my head. Not this again. I wish they would make a cigarette that did not harm me. Ha! The tobacco companies just spent the R and D on getting nicotine into us in other ways. I spent many a dollar on Nicoderm to cope with my addiction. When my sister took on the challenge she went cold turkey because she saw what I tried did not work. So when I rode up that escalator to my quit core class I did not have a lot of faith. The cycle of addiction. Think, try, fail. Fail better. I learned that I could end the cycle. The trick is don't step back. Don't slip. N.O.P.E. My brain and nicotine. Done. I am not going back to step one. And it feels real good!

Sign in to reply
  • tman55
    Quit 1,879 days ago
    5 months ago #

I’m proud too. Quitting is no small feat!!

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,749 days ago
    5 months ago #

Yesterday my daughter was invited to apply for a job and they asked her to name three things that she was proud of both in her career and personally. When I took on this quit I reimagined a time when I took on a new challenge and succeeded. I remember how good that felt. I looked up proud in the dictionary and I liked what it said, 1. Feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements. Latin, be of value. French, valiant, old English, having a high opinion of one's own worth. Good stuff!

• Keener
    Quit 1,570 days ago
    5 months ago #

You're right, m.m. We should feel proud of beating a habit that, in my case, lasted almost 40 years! Plus, I did it cold turkey!

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment