• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,840 days ago

The Gift in the struggle

January 11, 2019
Report this post

Another excellent repost. KTQ Cara D4685

*********************************************************************************************************************************** The Gift in The Struggle From IntelliQuit on 11/20/2004 5:28:30 AM

wortner's 'THANKFUL FOR THE THORNS!' reminded me of this:

One day a man saw a butterfly, shuddering on the sidewalk, locked in a seemingly hopeless struggle to free itself from its now useless cocoon.

Feeling pity, he took a pocket knife, carefully cut away the cocoon and set the butterfly free. To his dismay, it lay on the sidewalk, convulsed weakly for a while, and died.

A biologist later told him, "That was the worst thing you could have done! A butterfly needs that struggle to develop the muscles to fly. By robbing him of the struggle, you made him too weak to live."

...My 'spiritual mentor' said countless times, "YOU must make the effort." repost...

I hate process... I do... the ugly struggle, I'm not the best at it. I wish I knew how to do 'process' better so it wasn't so draining. I do know having gone through a bit of the quit process I can help others.

I do believe in going through things, And when it's a real pain in the butt, we don't want to have to go though it again.. so that's one benefit, that keeps us quit. Nancy the only way out is through.

Sign in to reply
  • m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,749 days ago
    5 months ago #

Cold Turkey. Has something to be said for it. You put the effort in right up front. Skin in the game. I did the patch. So I had twelve weeks to worry about that. Still on that last day I was afraid. I still had to go through withdrawal. My sister went cold turkey. She went on the net and learned that those brain cells are going to wince no matter what. Like a band aid. Slow or fast. NRT has its place and that is what it took for me but I think it also helped me cope in the real world and smoke. So twice as likely to be successful in your quit or just twice as likely to keep robbing my pocket book.

• tman55
    Quit 1,879 days ago
    5 months ago #

I commend all those who went cold turkey. I'm not sure I could.

• Tess
    Quit 622 days ago
    5 months ago #

Thanks for the commendation - a cold turkey girl here! To be fair it was mostly out of ignorance for though smoking for 40 years, I did not think I was really addicted. How is that for twisted thinking?? I thought of it as a band-aid too and wanted to rip it off & deal with things fast as possible. And you do...the physical ones. However, it is the psychological ones that I believe really trip you up and regardless of method, we all have to face those demons that like to linger and can feed off the slightest thought or memory. Even at this stage of my quit, my body is SUPER happy but my mind still misses it at times - WOW!

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment