• Author
  • Topic
Carolyn
Quit 4,818 days ago

The key to the lock

May 13, 2019
Report this post

I was also searching for the clue to make quitting easy - it got easier when I accepted that I had to take smoking off the table and there was never an excuse to smoke period. Quitting is doable. KTQ Cara D4807

********************************************************************************************

I am always amazed at the number of people here who are searching for the "magic bullet," that wonderful thing that will make quitting easier.

Maybe I shouldn't be. I put off trying to quit for years out of a fear of failure, and just like every other smoker, I considered using all of the quit-aid alternatives out there.

[I personally take issue with the vendors of some (I should probably say most) of these products, who claim efficacy rates far superior to anything any independent testing entity has ever been able to substantiate, let alone duplicate. They prey on the biggest hopes (and fears) of those who wish to quit. But that's for a different discussion.]

I have often preached here that there is no "magic bullet," no wonderful elixir or device or spell that can enchant you into an easy quit. It simply doesn't exist. If you honestly want to quit, then you must also be honest with yourself about reality - there may be an aid that assists you in your effort, but no matter which path you choose to go down (quit-aided or cold turkey), there are going to be moments of discomfort and unpleasantness. That is simply the price you must pay if you want to rid yourself of this nasty habit and join those of us who are living on the smoking-free side of the fence.

There is, however, one thing that comes pretty close to being that "magic bullet." You cannot buy it in any store, but it is available to you in abundance.

It is Personal Responsibility.

If you accept Personal Responsibility for the outcome you seek, then you will have everything you need to succeed. And you will succeed.

Being Personally Responsible means accepting that you, and only you, can determine the outcome of your quit. Nobody else can do it for you.

Being Personally Responsible means making a legitimate, bona-fide, no-excuses COMMITMENT to being QUIT. That means not using traumatic life events as justifications to light up. Period.

Being Personally Responsible means holding yourself accountable to that commitment, no matter what. Nobody can force you to do this - you must force yourself to do it.

Being Personally Responsible means dealing with the frustrations of quitting in a positive way, understanding that they are merely transient events, and that ultimately they go away. It means being patient enough to live in the moment, and accepting that a habit that you cultivated and nurtured for years and years doesn't simply disappear from your daily life without a period of adjustment.

The Key to the Lock - what will get you through the gate so you can cross the threshold into the Promised Land of the Smoke-Free - is, truly, Personal Responsibility. You must accept it and embrace it in order to succeed. All the NRT or prescription drugs or hypnosis or any of the rest of it is worthless without Personal Responsibility.

Are you Personally Responsible?

Phoenix day 4,029

Sign in to reply
  • Terry1963
    Quit 343 days ago
    1 week ago #

Nice way to put that. Personally Responsible. Yes I am.

• tman55
    Quit 1,857 days ago
    1 week ago #

Champix helped me immensely but I am the hero of my quit adventure! And so are the rest of you!!

• m
    m.m.
    Quit 1,727 days ago
    1 week ago #

It is true that at some point I had to take a leap of faith and then prove it to myself. " Someone left a butt in the ash tray and I just HAD to smoke it." or "It is the only thing I enjoy." I was responsible for my smoking and I was the person paying for it. The reality was it was a fight. The key to the lock for me now is I know I am better off and I have the numbers to prove it.

Sign in to reply

Sign in now to add your comment